Home > Design Needs > Interior Design Elements > Specific Interior Rooms and Spaces
Specific Interior Rooms and Spaces
Room designs should incorporate the following elements:
- Proper hallway signage to identify the room, including tactile characters, braille, appropriate colouring and appropriate font.
- Appropriate doors with respect to location, width and hardware.
- A logical arrangement of equipment, fixtures, furniture and services using straight lines and right angles, if possible.
- Colour contrast to identify equipment, facilities and hazards within the room.
- A clear and accessible path of travel at least 1,200 mm wide.
- At least 920 x 1,200 mm of clear space next to seating areas to accommodate guide dogs.
- Light switches and other environmental controls placed close to the room’s entrance.
In this section: